AMOUR Takes Top Honors From National Society Of Film Critics
Michael Haneke’s tragic and haunting French film Amour is much loved by the National Society of Film Critics, winning Best Picture, Best Director for Haneke and Best Actress for Emmanuelle Riva.
Founded in 1966, the 60-member National Society of Film Critics held its 47th annual awards voting meeting on Saturday, January 5th in New York City.
The Master came in second place for best picture with Zero Dark Thirty third; Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty) also tied with Paul Thomas Anderson (The Master) for runner-up in the director category.
Critics placed Riva’s performance just ahead of Jennifer Lawrence’s turn as an emotionally damaged widow in Silver Linings Playbook. Au contraire, Riva’s co-star Jean-Louis Trintignant was not among the top vote getters for Best Actor, while Daniel Day-Lewis took home that honor for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln in another double winner, Steven Spielberg’s film about the United States’ 16th president; Lincoln was also cited for its screenplay by Tony Kushner.
Supporting actor awards went to Matthew McConaughey for Magic Mike and Bernie and to Amy Adams for The Master; The Master also took the prize for Mihai Malaimare, Jr.‘s cinematography.
Check out the rundown below and the full list here.
1. Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln (59)
2. Denis Lavant, Holy Motors (49)
2. Joaquin Phoenix, The Master (49)
1. Emmanuelle Riva, Amour (50)
2. Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook (42)
3. Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty (32)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
1. Matthew McConaughey, Magic Mike (27)
2. Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln (22)
3. Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master (19)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1. Amy Adams, The Master (34)
2. Sally Field, Lincoln (23)
3. Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables (13)
1. Amour (28)
2. The Master (25)
3. Zero Dark Thirty (18)
1. Michael Haneke, Amour (27)
2. Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty (24)
2. Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master (24)
1. The Gatekeepers (53)
2. This Is Not a Film (45)
3. Searching for Sugar Man (23)
1. Lincoln, Tony Kushner (59)
2. The Master, P.T. Anderson (27)
3. Silver Linings Playbook, David O. Russell (19)
1. The Master, Mihai Malaimare, Jr. (60)
2. Skyfall, Roger Deakins (30)
3. Zero Dark Thirty, Greig Fraser (21)