Here’s the thing in case this sounds a little bit creepy for you. We’re here to share some news about Yorgos Lanthimos’ new film titled Alps that will premiere in Venice.
And of course, when you have a festival in front of you, and a movie like Dogtooth (Oscar nominated) behind, you’ll have to do some good marketing tricks to show the audience that your movie is not some kind of shit, and that it’s actually worth your attention.
So, Lanthimos already revealed that Alps will be “darker and funnier” than Dogtooth.
First of all, the movie title refers to the name of the organization under which the characters of the film work, and Lanthimos has come up with a list of fifteen rules they must abide by.
Just for a record, the movie centers around a nurse, a paramedic, a gymnast and her coach, who form a service for hire in which they stand in for dead people by appointment, replicating the behaviour and gestures of the deceased, to help friends and relatives with the grieving process. And now, check out the list and judge for yourself…
THE 15 RULES OF THE ALPS
1. Must declare in advance the things they are unwilling to do by filling out Form (e.g. kissing, lifting weights, travelling etc.)
2. Must declare in advance the things they are good at by filling out Form (e.g. dancing, waterskiing, discussing etc.)
3. Must have some basic knowledge of psychology and sociology.
4. Are obliged to support, under all circumstances, the interests of the Alps group.
5. Must respect each other.
6. Have the right to change their nickname only twice. They cannot choose a nickname belonging to another Alps member. The nickname must strictly be the name of a mountain in the Alps, and not something general or irrelevant (e.g. Blonde, Master, Dragon etc.)
7. Can never talk about Alps activities with non-Alps members.
8. Are obliged to take the Gymnastics Club Test, if necessary.
9. Must be over 14 years of age.
10. Should always be smart, clean, punctual, and in complete control.
11. Must never get emotionally involved with clients, or have intimate relations with them.
12. Cannot change their physical appearance without the Leader’s permission (e.g. dye hair, lose or gain weight, wear coloured contact lenses etc.)
13. Must be able to make convincing facial expressions (sadness, happiness, despair etc.)
14. Must honour the title of their membership, and be ready to kill or die for it.
15. Must never attack one another, and must believe in teamwork.
Mont Blanc, Leader of the Alps group
You can find more at AUEBFilmClub
Alps, written by Efthymis Filippou (Dogtooth) stars Ariane Labed (Attenberg), Aggeliki Papoulia (Dogtooth), Aris Servetalis and Johnny Vekris. It will premiere in Greece on October 27, 2011.