IGN Entertainment, the world’s leading video games media company, announced today its 2011 Summer Movie Awards, which celebrates action, sci-fi and guy-centric movies that have hit theatres since May. Winners on the fourth annual list include X-Men: First Class, which took seven honors, including “Best Summer Movie,” and Hugh Jackman, winner in the category of “Favorite Cameo.”
After more than 150,000 votes by IGN fans, X-Men: First Class was also awarded in the category of “Best Comic Book Movie.” This was the first time the public voted on a category for the Summer Movie Awards. Other nominees in this category included Thor, Priest, Green Lantern, Captain America: The First Avenger, and Cowboys & Aliens.
IGN’s Summer Movie Awards feature 16 categories, including: Favorite Hero (Andy Serkis as Caesar, Rise of the Planet of the Apes); Favorite Villain (Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto, X-Men: First Class); Best All-Out Brawl (The X-Men vs. The Hellfire Club -End Battle in Cuba, X-Men: First Class); Best Effects Sequence (The Battle of Hogwarts, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part Two); Favorite Trailer (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo); and Coolest Creature (Caesar, Rise of the Planet of the Apes).
Trophies were presented to winners in the categories of Favorite Hero, Favorite Villain, Babe of the Summer, Best Comic Book Movie, and Best Summer Movie. Clips and winning speeches from Andy Serkis, Michael Fassbender, Zoe Saldana, and Lauren Shuler Donner (on behalf of X-Men: First Class) can be found at http://www.ign.com/lists/summer-movie-awards-2011.
“Back by popular demand for the fourth consecutive year, IGN’s Summer Movie Awards celebrate the best and boldest in sci-fi, action, animation, and babes,”
says IGN Movies Editor-in-Chief Eric Moro.
“Our readers have been vocal about their love for these films, and we wanted to commemorate the best summer movies with well-deserved accolades. Adding in this year’s Best Comic Book Movie category fan vote was a nod to a summer of super heroes – clearly, X-Men: First Class rose to the expectations of fans.”
The complete list of winners for the “2011 IGN Summer Movie Awards” are :
- Favorite Hero – Andy Serkis as Caesar (Rise of the Planet of the Apes)
- Favorite Villain – Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto (X-Men: First Class)
- Babe of the Summer – Zoe Saldana, Columbiana
- Best Ensemble Cast – X-Men: First Class
- Favorite Cameo – Hugh Jackman, X-Men: First Class
- Funniest Line – “Go f**k yourself.” (Wolverine), X-Men: First Class
- Best Effects Sequence – The Battle of Hogwarts, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part Two
- Best All-Out Brawl– The X-Men vs. The Hellfire Club (End Battle in Cuba), X-Men: First Class
- Favorite Kill– Magneto Executes Sebastian Shaw with a Coin, X-Men: First Class
- Coolest Weapon – Mjollnir, Thor
- Coolest Creature –Caesar, Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Favorite Trailer – The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
- Best Blu-ray– The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Edition)
- Best Animated Movie – Kung Fu Panda 2
- Best Comic Book Movie (1st time as Reader’s Choice): X-Men: First Class
- Best Summer Movie – X-Men: First Class
Previous winners for IGN’s Best Summer Movie Award include: Inception (2010); District 9 (2009); The Dark Knight (2008).