Marvel Studios offers Shane Black the director’s chair for Iron Man 3 as it has been confirmed that Jon Favreau will not be directing Iron Man 3 and moved on to play with Disney and Magic Kingdom.
Marvel is obviously looking at options to fill the empty role, and one choice is Shane Black. Iron Man 3 would re-team Black and Downey, who worked together on the well-regarded Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which Black directed and co-wrote. In 2005, he received the Best Original Screenplay award for that crime/dark comedy. The cast includes Robert Downey, Jr. as well as Val Kilmer.
Favreau’s Iron Man movies were centered on character, first and foremost, so Black’s humorous, character-driven writing style where he often adds comments and jokes about the situations taking place in the story, would be a perfect fit. The alcohol, self-destroying Tony Stark would fit together with such unlikely Shane Black heroes as desperate police officer Martin Riggs and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang’s clumsy fake detective Harry Lockhart, also played by Robert Downey Jr. Black seems to have an all in one.
Scarlett Johansen is already confirmed to reprise her roll as Black Widow for the Avengers flick, and is rumored to be gripped in Iron Man 3 as well. What other familiar faces will we see in Iron Man 3? Could Iron Man 3 finish up placed as a direct sequel to the Avengers movie? Since Iron Man 3 is in development, it’s hard to know the answers to many of these queries. But here are some more rumors:
• Mandarin will be the villain of the film.
• Faran Tahir who played Raza in the first film will play Mandarin.
• Fin Fang Foom will make an appearance.
• Pepper Potts will become Rescue.
• Anya Monzikova who appeared in Iron Man 2 is interested in playing The Second Black Widow for the third film.
• Emily Blunt is rumored to be wanted to portray a villain in the film.
• Black Panther might show up in the film.
Whatsoever, Disney plans to release Iron Man 3 on May 3, 2013. We’ll keep you updated on all the latest on Iron Man 3.